Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Pull up to my Bumper

Is it wrong to judge people by their bumper stickers? I find myself making snap judgements about people simply by their bumper stickers. They obviously cared enough to place the thought on their car, so it must be be a defining characteristic of the person, right?

So when I see someone with some sort of pro-Bush bumper sticker, I automatically believe they are either narrow-minded, over-zealous right wingers, rednecks, cowboys, and/or just not completely human. These cars usually have some sort of huge American flag on them or a yellow ribbon ( which I have no problem with) that says "support the troops". I think the worse bumper sticker I saw was "10 out of 10 terrorists support John Kerry".

I have just found that most Bush supporters tend to be illogical and are moved by fear of a terrorist strike or are very rich and stand to gain a lot if he remains in office. Or far worse, they have some questionable religions beliefs - beliefs that are so strong, they are blinded to any other issues beyond gay marriage, abortion and for the really sophisticated.... stem cell research - that's about as deep as they get....that's a whole nuther blog.

I have also seen the Pro - Kerry bumper stickers, which always seem to comfort me. It lets me know that there are in fact people in this country that have a shred of common sense. My guess is, they care about the Middle class, health care, the environment, the economy, education, - you know the stuff that personally affects most of us. Now I am not a huge Kerry fan, yet. But after the debates, he is definitely winning me over. He is clearly more intelligent and articulate than the smirking one. Perhaps, my favorite bumper sticker is.... Bring Back Complete Sentences - Kerry/Edwards. Subtle, simple fantastic.

I don't have any bumper stickers on my car. I feel that they cheapen the look of the car and are overall pretty tacky, especially if the car is covered in them. They do make for entertaining driving, but as for my car, it will be sticker free. I did have a small "Jaguars" window adhesive on my last car, but that is as far as I am willing to go.

I will be happy when all this election business is over, I just hope I don't feel compelled to move to Canada (wouldn't want to use their "less than safe" prescription drugs).



No comments: