Sunday, October 31, 2004

My Civic Duty

This weekend I have committed myself to learning more about the local candidates and propositions on the ballot. Admittedly, I don't know much about the State of Maryland yet, but I realize the local politics are just as important as national politics and in some instances more important. Upon the recommendation of a friend, I visited www.vote-smart.org and found that not only did I learn a lot about the candidates, I learned a lot about myself.

Although, I tend to vote democrat on a lot of positions, I am really more in the middle.

If I am truly being honest, I am against gay marriage. However, that doesn't mean I would like to amend the constitution to ban it. I guess that's why I differ with the hard line republicans. I definitely feel it is a personal issue and while I would never do it, I really don't have the right to interject myself into the lives of others. I think this issue should be left up to the states. I don't like the idea of businesses being forced to provide health care benefits for same-sex couples. That should be an individual decision of the business owner. I hate that it is compared to the civil rights struggles for blacks. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Not even close to the same thing. We may have common enemies, but surely it is not the same or even remotely comparable. I find that to be very insulting.

There's an interesting dialogue on why the black church takes such a hard line stance against gay marriage, considering our history. I think that despite what is shown on BET, a lot of blacks that grew up in the church were taught that homosexuality is wrong - bottom line. Also, there is still the belief out there that a person chooses to be gay. Hmmm, I don't know how I feel about that - I am not sure if it is Biology or a choice, but I am glad that is not my battle. So no, as an individual, I don't endorse gay marriage, but I would not to vote to amend the constitution to strip away rights.

As everyone knows, I am pro-choice. I think for me, that goes along with being compassionate towards the situations and needs of others. However, I absolulety oppose the idea of abortion being used as birth control and oppose using public funding for the procedure more than once.

I was very much opposed to war against insurgents. How ridiculous to invade another country in the name of "liberation" (the latest spin) and want to kill the people who oppose it.

I am concerned about education in this country. Why are so many states trying to partially fund education from gambling proceeds? That seems so twisted to me. This is where our money should be going. I don't even have kids, and I think more of our tax dollars should go here above the next nuclear weapon....

More to come





No comments: