Why, why why? Men can be such idiots - and I am really just referring to the pseudo-macho, armchair quarterbacks, woman go get me a beer types.
My car was giving me a bit of difficulty. It reeked of what I thought was gas and it was so powerful it was giving me headaches. I noticed this started around the time that I got my oil changed, so I thought maybe they knocked something loose.
So my friend at work told me to check the oil first. So I went out to the car and popped the hood, and as soon as I did, I immediately saw the problem.... They forgot to put the oil cap back on!
But here's comes this older Caucasian man, who seemed surprised that I even knew how to pop the hood. I thought to myself, they still make you? He starts going on about someone forgot to put the cap on, blah blah blah, so he sees the cap and screws it on for me, while I am in the process of checking the oil. Apparently I didn't check it well enough for him, so he takes the napkin and the dipstick and lo and behold it looks exactly the same when he checks it. I had already determined that I needed to add oil....
But then he says, he's going to tell me what kind of oil to buy. ARRRGGGGHHHHH! I already know what kind of oil my car takes, but I am trying to be polite as I wait for him to read it off the oil cap. What makes it worse is he has the absolute nerve to read it to me and say, "Can you remember that?" I wanted to slug him. Then he goes on to say "that's why women need men around." I was so through! Since he was old, I was trying to remain respectful, but I really wanted to tell me to leave me alone.
In the course of this lopsided conversation, I noticed my coolant overflow tank was low and I just generally started checking my fluid levels.... He asked "how I knew how to do that"? Oh my god!
Hard to believe with all the complexity of making sure that the fluid level falls between the low and high line, that I would be able to grasp it! And even more amazing, I know that the green stuff is coolant and where the brake fluid and power steering fluid go and that wet blue stuff - windshield wiper fluid - amazing!
The funny thing is years ago, I changed my own oil a couple of times. I am by no means a car expert, but having an old car helps you learn about a lot of things....
When I got back with the oil, the guy was still here and in between gritted teeth I allowed him to check my oil again after I added a quart. I was so glad I started adding the oil before he could slow me down more.... geez.
Not my dream guy at all - can I get a guy who can do all that stuff, without the condescension please? I would rather do it myself and get my fingers dirty (which I hate), than to listen to mindless dribblings of a sexist pig.
Tuesday, October 26, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment