Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Joy of Being Thirty and.... Looking Much Younger

"You're thirty? There's no way", she said as she inspected my ID. She gave me a once over and then glanced at the ID again. She gave it back to me and said, "You look so young"

Years ago, that would have upset me, but now I just love it. That is music to my ears..... Because the truth is, I do look young. I AM young, with a little bit of experience. It's true, I have noticed a couple of sublte changes, particularly with my metabolism, but overall I am in good shape and am working to maintain it.

I think I look better now than at any time in my life. Not because I have had surgery or have subscribed to a new beauty regimen. But it's confidence, the confidence of knowing that I am fine just the way I am. Yeah, thirty looks good on me.

Last year this time, I was so depressed.... because I was leaving the twenties behind. What a blessing in disguise. With that, I was leaving the drama behind. I decided to forgive myself for all the mistakes and lessons of my youth and innocence. And I decided that I would LIVE.

I realized that life isn't how I thought it would be, and that's ok - for now. Where's my convertible fully loaded beamer, my handsome and finacially stable, loving husband, where is my house with the white picket fence? Before, that would caused months of depression, now it is inspiration for change. So with each new day, new opportunities for change arrive.

Some things I can control, others I can not. So, now instead of waiting for a husband before I get a house, I am planning to buy my own. It may not be the huge single family house I'd always dreamed of, but it will be mine. My goal is that around this time next year, I will be moving in to my OWN place ;).

That's the beauty of thirty. It took me this long to figure out that things may not work out the way you want them to, but if there is a back up plan, some flexibility, you can still be happy.

No comments: