I had the opportunity to see Ray this past Thursday. It is an awesome film. It was almost 3 hours long, but it didn't feel like it at all. It flowed really well, and left me wanting know more about Ray Charles.
Jamie Fox was incredible. He really became Ray. I forgot that he was really Jamie Fox, because every moment he was on the screen he was RAY. He captured, his movements, his mannerisms. I honestly didn't know that Jamie had the range to pull it off, but this brother is talented.
The entire cast overall was pretty good. The actress who played his wife was also incredible. I don't know her name, but she was impressive. I thought Regina King's character could have been developed a little bit more, but she was still good. Kerry Washington (Ray's mom) was also good. The only character that I wasn't sold on was Larenz Tate as Quincy Jones. Admittedly, I have no idea what Quincy Jones was like as a young man, but I just couldn't picture him being the way Larenz played him.
I wonder where in the world they shot his childhood scenes. He grew up in Northern Florida, and I am sure it looked like that, then. But could there be places that still look like that in the US. I am guessing maybe Alabama, Mississippi, hmmmm - interesting.
The story was so good. And I thought it was put together very well. How the director intermingled the past with the present. I had no idea Ray had so many hits! That' s amazing. I found myself rooting for him throughout his trials. I wasn't too thrilled about the womanizing side of him, but no one is perfect.
I wonder what it must have been like to be his wife. I am amazed that she stayed with him and maintained her dignity. That's a good woman!
Jamie Fox definitely is deserving of a Oscar nod. He was incredible. If you go a chance, please go check this flick out! It's a MUST SEE!
Saturday, November 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment