I love Music - lots and lots of music. Music has had such a major impact on my life in so many ways. There are some artists though whose work has touched me in such a profound personal way that I would like to offer a few words of appreciation. This list is by no means exhaustive.
On the Gospel Tip:
Anyone who can sing: "Great is thy Faithfulness" - which is my favorite hymm - reminds me that God is always there, even when I haven't been. If I had to pick my favorite song, this would be it, but I like the soulful, but not overly done version. Please don't add extra syllables to the words, they are beautiful just as they are written.
"We Shall Behold Him" I must admit I love me some Jesus - the more I read about him, the more in love I become. This song so eloquently expresses my desire to meet him face to face.
"O My Soul Loves Jesus" - Kurt Carr and the Kurt Carr Singers. This is one of the best worship songs ever. The vocals are powerful, the lyrics are heartfelt and the music is amazing.
4HIM - This goes back to my cassette days - Your first album got me through my sophomore year of college. Life Goes On is simply the best. Where There is Faith personified my world view and faith in God. Also your CD containing A Man You Would Write About, Every Reason to Believe and Puzzles - my personal favorites, particularly Every Reason to Believe - cuz there were times when I was looking for reasons not to believe.
Fred Hammond - truly an inspiration "When We Praise" is truly a phenomenal praise song.
Richard Smallwood - My absolute # 1 Gospel Artist - best all around.
On the R&B Tip
Stevie Wonder - what can I say? - One of my all time personal favorites. Can you sing at my wedding?
New Edition - My dear sweet Ralph - I was planning on marrying you! "Candy Girl" and "Cool It Now" - my first boy band love. You will always be my #1 boy band. Johnny, you were next on my list, if mea dn Ralph didn't work out.
Michelle N'Degeocello (ok, I probably spelled that wrong) You have the music movies are made of. You bring out emotion and passion that is beyond compare. Saw you live - fabulous concert.
Anita Baker - just simply beautiful - you get better with time. Glad to know you are back. It's been too long.
Janet Jackson (the Janet I grew up with - not the new and improved version) - Control, Rhythm Nation - who couldn't help but groove to those albums.
Guy - Who could forget "I Like" That is one of my as a I call them instant happy song. No matter what kind of crappy day, I am having, I hear this song, and all is well with the world again. Bravo to Gina Prince Blythewood for seeing the genius in this song and including it in Love and Basketball. (the whoel soundtrack was bangin)
Public Enemy/Run DMC/Tribe Called Quest - had to lump you in with the R&B section, because let's be honest - I am not the world's hugest rap fan. Run DMC, the first concert I really wanted to go to, but moms wouldn't let me (probably because I was 11). Public Enemy - you spoke on a social level I could personally relate to, particularly Fear of a Black Planet -always amazed me that so many Caucasians liked you.... and Tribe - what can I say - I dig your style.
On the General Rock Tip:
Madonna/Tina Turner/Cyndi Lauper - The first artists I used to sneak and listen to past bedtime. I will never forget Borderline, What's Love Got to Do With It, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. My first time really ever listening to "devil music" - church folk term for non-Christian secular music. Boy was my family in for a surprise - that was the tip of the iceberg (see 80's metal)
Billy Joel - I love the Piano Man. For the Longest Time - I love singing along to that - it makes me feel like I really can sing.
Journey - I discovered you way too young. My cousin gave me one of her tapes and my love for you was born. You helped me through the chicken pox. You are the key to my life. I love you so much, a friend of mine bought me the box set. I have most of your albums, mainly in cassette format - I am working on the upgrade to CD. Steve Perry you have a voice like no other.
Dave Matthews Band - One of the reasons I love rock n roll. The Music - incredible. The Voice - Fresh. As much as I bitch about inflated concert prices, I'd pay to see you guys. Plus you are libs - what could be better?
U2 - another concert I would pay to see. My respect level for you grows each passing day. Bono, your social consciousness is inspirational.
"The Way You Love Me" - Faith Hill another insta-happy song.
Trapt - this past winter - no car! How fabulous to have a great cd to listen to on the way to the bus stop.
Puddle of Mudd - you helped me through a very angry period - bravo (the bushit period, hopefully there won't be another 4 years of that)
Peter Gabriel - "In Your Eyes" is one of my all time personal favorites. This made the movie "Say Anything" worth watching again and again especially when Lloyd blasts his boombox in front of Diane Court's window.
Late 80's metal - just when I'd gotten past Wham and Duran Duran, I had a new thing, thanks to Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Anthrax, Metallica, Tesla etc, etc. Snuck out to see many concerts, met some of you, helped me through my teenage years and my need to carve out my own identity.
There are many more, but I could type this all day......
Friday, September 17, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment