Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Something to Believe In

Recently I had a talk with my cousin and she told me she was giving up Starbucks. In my mind, that is just crazy talk (other than the $3 per visit price tag) She told me it was because they are a big supporter of the homosexual agenda, mainly they support gay marriage or civil unions. I don't really know how true that is, nor am I hugely concerned. It is certainly not an issue I am willing to give up my morning boost for. I just think it is interesting that she feels so strongly about an issue that she is making a lifestyle change because of it.

It got me to thinking...are there businesses whose services I would be willing to forgo because of the owner's political stance? I am not sure. I guess if anything, I would consider boycotting businesses that support the more conservative right wing agendas.

I am not sure I am there yet. As a general rule, I don't shop at Wal-mart unless I am completely desperate (which is rare). I probably went to Wal-mart less than 10 times last year - I probably spent less than $200 during that entire time period as well. I think their employment practices are abysmal at best and has set the trend of "wal-martization" of our society. "Wal-martization" meaning spend "less" on the assumption that you are getting the same, but in actuality your getting less. That's a whole new blog....

I said all that to say, I think it is admirable that my cousin has the determination to stand up for her beliefs (although I don't share those particular beliefs). I wish more people would make conscientious choices about their consumer practices - I think our dollars would certainly yield more power if we were more selective about how and where we used them.

No comments: