Monday, January 16, 2006

My Mother's Daughter

It's funny to think of all the times I promised myself that I wouldn't be like my mother and here I am - so similar it's scary. I remember when she made me mad, I swore I would never act like her when I grew up. But it happened - and before I could stop myself, her words were coming out of my mouth. I suspect this condition will get worse when I have children of my own.

But I hear her through me when I am at the grocery store "I remember when you could get eggs at (insert price here)" The only difference being the price. Did I just say that out loud?

I think one of the things that irritated me the most is when she would ask a question that she already knows the answer. Like, who ate the last of the cookies, Cindy? Or who burned this pot trying to fry bologna, GP? Arrghh, you already know I ate the last of (just about anything sweet) and you know a lot of the things my brother would do.... What are you trying to prove?

Yet I do the same thing.

She used to always use this reverse psychology thing where she allowed you to believe you were making your own decision, but in essence she was influencing the decision the whole time. There was a time when I didn't make the "correct" decision and the facade was lifted. She then flat out said "no" and I asked then "why did you make me feel as if I had a choice?"

Arrgghh I hated that - and even though I made a vow not to do that to my kids, based on my current behavior I have to say "outlook not so good"

No comments: