I am so excited about my book club meeting. I haven't read a book for pleasure in such a long time, I'd forgotten how much I enjoy it. I am so thankful for my friend Laura for inviting me to join. Our first meeting is next Saturday. Our book of the month is "Kindred" by Octavia Butler. It was a surprisingly easy read - I didn't think it would be from looking at the cover. I thought it would be like "Beloved" (which no disrepect, was not an easy book for me to get through - it was often depressing)
'Kindred" is a time travel story of young black woman in 1976 who is periodically transported back to the 1800s Maryland to help her ancestors - particularly her great great grandfather who happens to be an heir and future slave owner of a substantial Maryland plantation. She first meets him as a child, Rufus, where she saves him from drowning only to be insulted by his mother and held at gunpoint by his father. As if on cue, she is trasported back to her own time and husband. A common theme is that she is generally "called" back int to time to save Rufus - mainly from himself. I won't say too much more about it, but it is a great read,
I can't wait to our next selection.
Sunday, January 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment