Today I went to a funeral for my co-worker's mom. I had never met his mom and for the time I have known him - she had been very sick. It felt a little awkward to go to a funeral for a person you've never met, but I have such respect and admiration for him, I felt I had to go. A lot of us went. As the services proceeded, I realized that although I never met her, I did know her. I knew her through him. As more and more people spoke of her wonderful qualities, I saw all of those things in him. He is a class act.
I looked around to see who came to the funeral and people of all ages and backgrounds were there. To me that is a sign of life well lived. She managed to touch people outside of her comfort zone. She had been an actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement and loved her family, friends, and God and the church. She was a teacher and loved children.
My coworker requested that while flowers were welcome, a donation to a childrens' charity in her name would be welcome as well. I will be sure to do that. I think my co-worker was really moved that so many of us came out today.
I re-learned two things today.
1. Your presence is often more important than your presents. Sometimes just being there is enough - and often better than not being there and sending a gift.
2. The greatest legacy you can leave is how you impact and influence others. His mom touched a lot of lives and her spirit and characteristics live on in him and probably in a lot of her family and friends. That is a wonderful testament of her life.
Thursday, January 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment