Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Truth Shall....

Set you free, is the age old adage that I has been drummed into my head since I was small. But in some cases, I am not so sure.... I think the truth can be difficult to handle, and not everyone can handle it.

For example, how do you tell someone that you care about that they smell bad? Of course you could be blunt and come out and say it, but I am not so sure that is the best approach. You could drop hints, but they may not get it and or they may get it and still be equally offended. Or worse, you can say it and they not believe you...and tell you you are tripping.

How do you tell someone you just aren't attracted to them? You may like them, but the thought of having physical interaction with them is, well you never have thoughts like that?

How do you tell someone that you know why they aren't getting what they want because you heard it through the grapevine, without putting yourself in the middle of a potentially ugly he said, she said, drama?

How do you tell a friend that the man she is madly in love with, is cheating on her?(and you are pretty confident, that this is true) They could end up working things out, and they both end up hating or blaming you...

How and why wuold you answer a question that you know the recipient will not be able to emotionally handle the answer (and in my opinion, have no business asking). I don't ask questions in which I may not be able to handle the answer. There are some truths I just don't need to know. Call me an ostrich, but when the time is right, then maybe I can deal.

How do you tell someone that they suck?

The truth can be sticky. I agree that in some of these instances, telling the truth could result in positive change. I also think it is good to be honest with the ones we love. I am just not sure that honesty at all costs is worth the price.

It's strange with me, because I can be very blunt about things. But sometimes when I say things, it's seems so unreal that another human being would utter those words, that people think that I am not serious, and there is no way I can convince them that I am. Some things have been hurtful, and although that is not my intention (except on two occasions) I don't have malicious intent.

I think in some instances, the truth is something that you have to discover on your own. The burden of truth should not squarely on one person's shoulder. And in a lot of instances, our instincts lead us to the truth anyway. Besides, who appointed me to be the world's liberator?

No comments: