If you need anything - anything at all - a deck, an edit suite, some coffee, a shoulder to lean on - anything, don't ask me. The truth is - I don't care. I don't care why you are behind schedule - I will just bill you for it. I don't care that you are hungry or thirsty - order your own damn lunch. I don't care if you are emotionally spent - are you paying me the going rate for therapists to listen to all that crap?
I guess there are a few things that drives me nuts about my job - things that I didn't know would be part of my job - like answering phones and ordering lunch and bringing people snacks. I hate answering the phone when it isn't for me. I had a temp receptionist job for 1 week and I thought I was going to go nuts. Ordering lunch for people? If I wanted to be a PA, I would have applied for that. I have already been a PA and I didn't like it then. I never knew how to make coffee until now - I probably still don't - heck I don't drink it.
The thing is - when you work for a smaller company there's a lot more crap work and not as many resources. It's cool when you can make it all come together, but sometimes getting there is a real pain.
Honestly, most of my clients are cool. Most of them are flexible and easy going. I think the thing that makes me nuts the abundance of work and expectations is sometimes beyond reasonable. It's impossible to answer phones, schedule sessions, do billing and run around the building for random miscellaneous stuff simultaneously.
It is unfortunate for me that I have the first desk, people usually stop there first, even if I am not the person they need to talk to. The trick is to figure out how to get your work done in between constant interruptions.
I am not sure how long I can do this. My boss wants someone for at least 2 years - I think I can give him a year, maybe a year and a quarter. I have already done this job at another company for a year (granted it was a lot easier), so my timetable is a little different. I think I would be really pissed off after two years - not sure I am made for a job like this.
There are parts of it that I really like - I think the problem is - it is really two jobs. There is the management part - which I like and there is the services part - which I hate. I will figure it all out.
I think right now, I just need a vacation. A few days to not be concerned about anyone else's needs except mine. I have a comp day coming up , but I might have to extend it to two days, so I can have a 4 day weekend. I have already booked a hot stone massage, pedicure and a hotel suite in VA Beach for the occasion. I need to re-connect with my spirit - to rediscover myself and just have some rejuvenation time. I can't wait.
Sunday, August 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment