Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Opportunity Knocks

The past few days have been a whirlwind. Everything has happened so fast - I really need a moment to step back and breathe. I have been in a holding pattern for awhile now and I have just been waiting and waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. After all I have been through, I decided it was best to wait it out, instead of jumping on what would just be an escape. But waiting has had it's moments where I felt insecure, stagnant, and bored. I am a go-getter. It is not in my nature to just wait. All the activity with not getting a job I was already doing, and being told that I hadn't been in my position long enough....all of that has brought on its share of frustration. I want to move to a normal shift, most of all to get what's left of my life back. I wanna be able to go out if I want, play kickball or go to happy hour. Heck, I wanna go out on a date, and I want to have more autonomy. I want to have more responsibilty, I want to grow, I want to know that I will be able to move into what I want to do without taking a drastic pay cut (of course, I am not doing that anwyay, if I can help it).

So slowly, I have been testing the waters, just to see if there was a possibility of changing shifts. Ideally, I would like to change shifts with the ideal job, but at this point a job is simply that - a means to an end - until I can do what I really want to do. A job is something that I will always do my best, but it is not my life. The workaholic days are behind me - I realize that there is a lot more that I want from my life and very little of that is wrapped up in a job. But as of late, there is just nothing available that is better than what I have right now, in terms of pay and status. But everyone says that I have great potential - I realize that - which is why I am not content with this feeling of stagnancy.

I need to grow - there is no doubt about it - once I have reached my threshold which in all honesty is about 7 months I am ready to start something new. I know 7 months doesn't seem like a long time, but to me it is generally enough time for me to have learned all I can possibly learn, and thus... time to move on. Being that I am close to the year anniversary mark - I am about to lose my mind.

That being said, it came as a big surprise when a friend I hadn't talked to in months called me out of the blue to ask me if I would be interested in working at his place of employment. Sure, I said why not - but I didn't really seriously consider it. He told me to send my resume to the hiring manager and I did, and the next day he called me in a for an interview. I interviewed this morning and he made me an offer on the spot.

I was shocked to say the least. His offer is a little more than what I would be making after my annual raise ( which is due in July) - but money isn't the driving factor here strangely enough. The extra would just go for parking or riding the train because the commute would be a little bit longer. It would defintely be more work than what I am doing now - which has it's positives and negatives. The positives are: I would be exposed to productions from start to finish and I think this would eventually lead to gaining a lot more knowledge about reaching my long term goals. And of course the negatives are it would be longer hours and stress level would be higher.

Also, never once did I dream a leaving the company I work for now. I just resumed my 401K. I hadn't even thought of it and for this to all happen so suddenly is bizarre. I really like my current place of employment in spite of all of my complaints. I like the people. I would really miss them. I am not sure that would be a good reason to stay though.

I really need to sleep on this and then pray on it.

No comments: