I got into a discussion with my best friend last night about race relations. She was confronted with her prejudices (which I don't think she realized she had) by her Brazilian friend. Apparently race isn't a big deal in Brazil. That must be really cool - I didn't know such a place could exist. It seems like the social infrastructure of the US is based on race and class. It seems like slowly we evolving into a true melting pot, at least as far as race goes. I think there will always be racial biases, but interracial relationships seem to be more prevalent now than before. I am glad, because I used to worry about my younger cousins who are bi-racial. I used to worry that they would get into fights and be constantly harrassed, but hopefully the climate has changed enough to where we can accept others, no matter their race.
I will admit I have my own biases. I want someone who speaks English as a first language. I want someone who is American or at least Americanized - American culture is probably bizarre to the rest of the world and I can definitely understand that. We are an uptight bunch as a whole. I prefer a black man, but I would date a white guy or maybe..actually I think that is as far as I have evolved. Truth be told, it would really just depend on the person. I know I have my preferences, and I am ok with that.
I am ashamed to admit that when I was younger, I chose not to date this guy, simply because he was white. It started out innocently enough. We became friends - good friends. We began hanging out together and I really enjoyed his company. Before I knew it, he had popped the question. "Would you ever date a white guy?" All of a sudden, I was dumbfounded. I had never really thought about it. But then flashes of all the drama my cousin went through when she first brought her white boyfriend home (who is now her husband), how her parents didn't come to her wedding... and I said "no". It was too painful, it was too - dramatic. His face dropped when I said that and I felt horrible. I really liked him, he was polite, nice, funny and drop dead gorgeous and I just loved his Southern accent. But I couldn't do it. He kissed me on the cheek, but things were never quite the same after that. We were still cordial, and we tried to pretend everything was normal, but it just wasn't. I wished we'd kept in touch. I could ask him to forgive me for being such a dope. Ah, live and learn.
Monday, July 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment