Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Karma

Sometimes I feel like I that I am a coldhearted person. Everyday when I walk down the street to my job, there is always somebody asking for money or random stuff. This morning for instance, a guy asked to used my cell phone so he could call his job. The old me would have probably let him use it, but I didn't want to. He looked a little sketchy and I thought about how I would want to lysol my phone afterwards - eh it just wouldn't be worth the feel good feeling you get from being to kind to someone else. So I told him - yeah...I don't want to. Probably not nice - but it was true. Shortly after, one of the usuals was asking if I could spare a little change? Do you not see me walking to work, I think... If I had chance to spare, I wouldn't be up at this hour headed to work...

I have a hard time giving to men on the streets. I am more inclined to give to women than men. There is something about a man begging that I find to be - distasteful. Some of the men on the streets now look younger and younger - which I find to be even more troubling. What could be more pathetic than a guy around my age out on the street begging? Are they just physically unable to work? I don't get it.

It isn't that I don't have compassion for those who have fallen on hard times. I know what it is like to be unemployed for a spell. I can sympathize - to a degree. I always have a twinge of guilt when I ignore someone or I say no. Sometimes I think about "what would Jesus do?" Jesus primarily focused on the less fortunate. But I guess I am not there yet. I am sympathetic to those who are victims of bad luck, not bad decisions.

Those who face finaincial ruin due to a natural disaster, illness, or job loss - well that really isn't their fault, but people who chose not to get an education or get a job. That is perplexing to me. How did they not get the memo that you need money to live? America has a lot of crap wrong with it, but last I checked it was free to get a high school diploma.

I often wonder what happens to a person that they end up on the streets. It really isn't my place to judge. I am fortunate to have had one parent in my corner. I am blessed now to have a job that allows me to provide for myself.

Sometimes I wonder if my saying "no" so much will come back to haunt me. I generally aim for good karma. Not that this will mean much to the karma gods, but I did buy a random guy a cup of coffee this past Saturday simply because he asked. Starbucks at that....

1 comment:

Me said...

Just because you didn't do what someone asked you to do, doesnt mean you are going to have bad karma. Be proud of what you have accomplished and yes you should give to charity. But giving it to a bum this is just sitting there begging...not my idea of charity. Now if he is doing some sort of performance...maybe thats worth a buck or two. You work hard for your money and so should they!