Monday, October 10, 2005

But When Will I Ever Use This?

Today as I was standing in line at Cosi, I noticed that the young woman in front of me was reading something that looked vaguely familiar. Ahh yes, I remember - it was Calculus. I saw something that looked liked the integer sign (or a squirly in my world) and something that looked like a limit. How funny that I hadn't seen that since college. It was so important to me then - just so I could pass, so I could get in to med school, blah, blah, blah....

In fact, it's been so long, it looked foreign. As a matter of fact, I couldn't figure how integers and mimits fit together or if they are related. I guess it's true, if you don't use it, you lose it.

I guess I really don't have an answer to that question. What am I going to say to my kids when they ask me why they have to learn trigonometry - it's not like they'll ever use it... They may just have a point. I can only think of a couple of professions where that might come in handy. I guess I got time to come up with a clever answer.

1 comment:

N'j said...

Well, I use it! When I need to know the area under a curve, I integrate by parts ;-)