The holidays were so great for me. It was nice going home to see some of my family. The first day back was hectic because I spent the entire afternoon with my mom shopping for the kiddies. It was fun though, I started off having no idea what I was looking for, but it all just came together. I spent most of the evening wrapping presents. On Christmas Eve, I spent a little time with my Aunt and Uncle. Then my mom, my brother and I drove up to Atlanta to spend Christmas with my cousin Eric and his family. We got there that evening and stayed up until about 3am talking, laughing and reminiscing. My aunt's entire family was there except for one person, so it was a full house. We went through some old pictures and even re-enacted one - it was funny. It was like old times when we all used to spend Christmas together back in Kansas City. My cousin Eric is probably the cousin I was closest to as a child. We used to sleep in the same bed and we were always together. We were more like brother and sister and sometimes we would tell people that. Things have changed a lot since then.
He has a beautiful family of his own. He has a wife and an adorable 3 year old that acts the same way he did when he was a kid. My cousin Charita surprised us all with her new husband Ray. It reminded me of the Cosby Show ep. when Denise brings Martin home and announced that they are married.... We all gave him the once over.... he's a good guy. They make a cute couple and even though it was really sudden, they seem to be really happy. I hope that it works out for them.
All my eleven years olds are taller than me - big surprise! Everytime I see them, they are so grown up - it's amazing.
Christmas day was more of the same - eating, playing, talking, more eating.....watching tv. Melissa, Eric's wife asked that he open his Christmas present in front of everyone. It was a weird shaped thing, looked kinda like a pen. He opened it. It was a pregnancy test! Everyone was really excited, but it was a little bittersweet.
Later on that evening, the kids put on a talent show that we videotaped for Eric. Wow, my eleven year old cousin can blow, who knew she could sing like that, her younger brother can dance, and the some of the others danced, read poetry. Then all of us said a few words for Eric. His son was so cute when he stood up to say a few words. He walks up and clears his throat and thoughtfully puts his finger up to his mouth. We are all quietly waiting in anticipation. After a brief pause, he whispers, "I have to go to the bathroom" and runs out. It was so funny... guess you had to be there.
What I didn't mention is that Eric is going back to Iraq for at least 18 months. He leaves sometime in January. We are all pretty upset about it, but we are trying to stay positive. We all prayed and made him a pretty cool tape, some serious stuff, some funny stuff. He is such a great guy, a family man, I hate that he has to leave his family and go back to a war zone. I believe he will be back, but I just wish sooner rather than later, so he could see the birth of his second one.
The next day, we hung out some more and took a bunch of pictures, some of which I will post and hit the road.
Back in Jax, ma drove me crazy, but only briefly. We spent the entire day at the mall, which was not at all what I wanted to do. But it's cool. We didn't even find anything at the mall.
The next day we went to my uncle's mother's funeral in Quincy. I didn't know her that well, but she was always really nice and that she was such an active woman. Can you imagine an 80 something year old mowing her own lawn? Amazing... She was a small woman with a big heart. I think my uncle was really glad we came. It's weird how funerals are like mini-family reunions. I wouldn't have seen some of my other cousins, if it hadn't been for that. I was so happy to see them, if only for a little while.
The next day, I had lunch with my best friend, her son, and another high school friend. That was fun. It was great seeing them again. Her son, too (who is 9) is taller than me. He's really handsome. I wish we had more time to hang out, but it was hectic this year.
Now I am back. I had a deep conversation with ADJ last night. I guess he came up with a shocking revelation. He needs to let me go or marry me. I listened to him. I had come to that conclusion awhile ago and am content without him. I feel like I have been without him for so long, that I've already conditioned myself to living without him. We have had completely separate lives for so long, I don't think there is much we have in common except the past. It's weird sometime, but it's ok. I am eager to move on.
Friday, December 31, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment