I am so proud of myself. This past birthday has shown me so much about myself. I have grown in so many ways this past year. Last year, I would have never taken off work - and even if I had, I would have never used the time to do something for myself. Also, I would have never had the courage to invite people to dinner and dancing afterwards. I know that sounds crazy, but hosting an event has always been one of my biggest hangups - like there always that fear that no one will show up.... and for the past few years I didn't really feel like there was any reason to celebrate. I didn't even feel like I deserved to have a gathering of any kind. Just those two things alone are signs of the work I have done this past year.
This birthday was truly about improvisation. The only thing I was sure of, was the fact that I wanted to go to the spa and have a hot stone massage. So I made the appointment and got a call on Thursday that the masseuse had injured his hand and would have to cancel. I was really sad, since I was so looking forward to that. Instead I got a twenty minute back massage (the only thing they had available) and a pedicure. Pedicures are sooo fantastic. Then I had a nice lunch and came home to get ready for an independent film premiere.
I went to the premiere with Rocky and it was really a great event. They had cocktails and dinner prior to the screening and the food was great. One of the sponsors was Tanqueray and you could have as many as you wanted.... It was really a nice size crowd. The name of the movie is "Issues" by Van Elder.
All in all, it was a pretty entertaining flick. It was a comedy and it was definitely told from the black male perspective. Some things struck me as funny, some didn't. It was interesting in that he added some nice twists in the movie. I enjoyed it overall, and I met a couple of interesting people there as well as I ran into a couple of familiar faces.
We went to the afterparty which was at Pearl. And it turned out to be fun, we stayed until closing.
Saturday, I had to run errands and then I hung out with Dale for a minute. Then I headed out to the Cheesecake Factory to reserve tables.... except they told me it would be a 4.5 hour wait! Michelle and her friend suggested Dave and Busters and so after talking to them, I decided to go there instead. So I had to call everyone, and let them know and eventually everyone found us, except for two people. But that was cool. We played games while we waited and waited.... and then finally we got a table. The food was fantastic ;)
Then a few of us went to Adams Morgan and it took forever to find a park! But finally we went and hung out a reggae joint.. It was just over way too soon. Geez I need to get out more!
I had a good time and I am glad I did this. I have decided I have to host more events - that way I will get better at it. I think I want to have a more intimate gathering in that it is difficult to get everyone to interact when they are sitting on opposite ends of the table.
Sunday was really laid back - the usual, except I skipped church even though I really wanted to go. I was just too tired. I got up late,cruised the mall for a minute,(and didn't spend any money) came home and watched football.
Talk about a fantasic weekend - friends, food, fun. I just want to thank all the people who made my birthday special.
Monday, December 06, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment