Thursday, June 02, 2005

Back in Bush Country or Home Sweet Home

Everytime I come home I am reminded just what the world of rednecks, pick up trucks and the Bible Belt can do an area. It's like walking into a time warp. Even still, this is home - a place I will always remember as home because my heart is here. But it doesn't matter how much my relatives suggest that it would be a good idea to move back, I can assure them that unless there is some sort of catastrophe, the chances are slim that I will ever move back here. I don't want my children growing up in the Bible Belt, nor do I want to subject myself to such lunacy. I want them to be exposed to all kinds of people and learn to co-exist with people of other cultures, creeds and faiths.

That is not to say that I don't enjoy my visits. A well-timed visit is perfect. My mom had a medical procedure today, so I came home to help out. Nothing too serious, but I wanted to be here. It is hard to believe and accept that my mom is getting older. Of course she is still the same person, but she drives a little slower and squints a little more. I think the thing that disturbs me the most is she talks about her will more often now and has put me on all of her accounts, just in case. She is also drafting a living will and giving me power of attorney. I realize all of this is necessary, it is just.... overwhelming. It's like I am having to accept the ideal that we may not always be together, and that is not easy to contemplate.

I am hoping that we have a lot more years together. For now, I am enjoying our time together and hoping that this visit is the beginning of a fresh start for her.

1 comment:

N'j said...

I feel you sister.