In all my years of playing sports, I have never had a serious injury - until yesterday. It's probably better to use a glove to catch a ball than, um... your face. Much more effective, a lot less painful.
It all happened so fast. It is so surreal, until I look in the mirror. I was trying to catch a ball and the sun got in my eyes for a second and smack...the ball hit me right in the eye.
I staggered backwards for a moment - I htink more from shock than anything else. I started bleeding and since I couldn't see where the blood was coming from, I thought my eyeball was bleeding. I was a little freaked out. How did my eye look, was it still there. As it turned out I had a pretty big laceration (you like the doctor lingo) above my eyebrow.
One of my teammates was gracious enough to take me to the hospital. The whole time I was worried about my face - how would it look, how would it look, and...how would it look? I wasn't worried about the pain, the headache, none of that, just how would my face look...yes I am a little vain.
Finally the doctor showed up and I got stitches (I am not sure how many) People keep asking me that - I have no idea -I just hope that...you guessed it....that my face will be restored and that the scarring is barely visible.
Right now, my eye is swollen and I look like a domestic violence case, but I can assure you there are no IKE's in my life.
This hasn't spoiled me on softball or sports...it's just a wake up call. I love sports, but I can assure you, the next time I will have my shades on, and I will use my glove!
Monday, April 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment