I was really excited when my friend asked me to be the godmother of her son. I love her so much and I was actully pretty flattered. After what seemed like an eternity, her son was born on February 1, 2007. They had to induce labor so he is couple of weeks early. We (me and my sig. other) went to see him on Thursday and he is absoulutely beautiful. I can't wait to be able to hold him. He is in an incubator for now, but he is now breathing on his own and seems to be doing well.
The thing is, I am nervous. I love babies and I loved him before he was even born, but... what is a god mother supposed to do? Is there a list of guidelines - an instruction manual, anything? I looked online but it seemed like all I could find was info pertaining to the Catholic faith. None of us are Catholic, so it has to be more to it than that.
So I have been thinking...about the word - Godmother. It seems almost like a guardian angel of sorts. So the first thing I will do is pray for him and his new family. I will pray for his safety, survival and strength. I will pray that he grows to be healthy, happy and loved. I will pray that he learns to live life to the fullest, that he is faithful and not fearful.
I think constant prayer takes care of the God part. So the mother part is the other thing. I want to be there for him - at his communion, and birthdays and a lot of his "first" moments. I want to be a source of support for his mother and father. I want to be able to teach him things. I want to be a part of his life. I want what is best for him.
I have heard that if something were to ever happen to the parents, then the godparents assume responsibility for the child. Naturally, I hope that nothing ever happens to them, but I am certainly willing to treat him as if he were my own.
I hope I will be a good Godmother - it will be glimpse into the future.
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment