I decided to turn over a new leaf and cut back on eating out for lunch everyday. SO I took a box of veggie burgers, a package of buns and a resealable package of provolone cheese slices. That plan was working out well for the first two days until...today. I opened the refrigerator and lo and behold someone had moved my cheese! At first, I just stood there in shock because I knew that couldn't have been my cheese in the refrigerator all open and exposed to the hodgepodge of refrigerator odors. I am way too anal to have left it open. I looked around to see if perhaps there was another package of provolone cheese in the refrigerator - one that looked like mine - you know - sealed. But alas there was not another - so I knew I had been violated.
I could feel my pressure beginning to mount as I reached in to examine my cheese. Someone had definitely eaten a slice or two, since there were only two slices left in the package. The remaining slices were as I suspected - hard and in what I call the pre-mold stage - what made it so bad is they even had fingerprints on them. (if only could have sent them in to a forensics lab for testing)
At this point, I was furious. Did I not get some sort a memo that suggests that by virtue of me putting my lunch in the company refrigerator it then becomes community property? Could that be the case? Is it possible that someone thought that perhaps they brought cheese in?
I don't really mind sharing my food (most of the time) but if you are going to use my stuff can you at least leave it the way you found it. All you have to do is press to seal it back up, so that at least I could eat the remainder of the cheese. Could you not touch every single slice in order to get one - that's why there is paper in between the slices....arrggghhhh.
This warranted a trip to the manager's office. I was pissed. I don't ask for much - but a slice of my own cheese on my veggie burger when it is too cold to go out for lunch is not much. I wanted to yell - I wanted to scream - I wanted to send out a company wide email - better yet I wanted to get on the paging system and threaten whoever touched my cheese! But then I thought of how Ross had to go to anger management classes after someone at his sandwich (Friends)....
So I explained to my boss that I was pissed because someone ate my cheese. I could see that he was having difficulty holding back a laugh. I continued venting (something about placing surveillance cameras in the kitchen) He listened and then offered to get me a slice of key lime pie - no - I insisted - that is not provolone cheese! Well - on second thought - hadn't had key lime pie in awhile.... We joked for a minute and he got me a slice of pie.
I ate my veggie burger sans cheese knowing that afterward I would have a slice of pie. That key lime pie was good! It was a nice pacifier.
Who knew I could talk about cheese for 7 paragraphs? I think it is the principle that upset me. I now know that my food goes in the small refrigerator in the closet (that only a few people have access too) and it is within eye shot. I still hope that whoever ate my cheese enjoyed it - because if I ever find out who it was.....they are going to get an earful.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment