Saturday, December 03, 2005

What a Difference a Year Makes

So now it is official. I am 32 and my life has changed so much in this past year. Most of it - for the better. One of my friends told me that life begins at 30 - I think that might be true. My life is so much better than when I was in my 20s (the drama years).

32 isn't really a significant year in that people don't get all excited. I guess once you hit 30, the birthdays that really matter are divisible by 10. But I have a lot to celebrate.

I am in a healthy relationship. I never in a million years would have guessed it could happen so fast. After about a year of dating random nuts and playing cat and mouse with my ex, finally this past year, I am seeing someone who is good to me and for me. And in return I feel that I am good to him and for him too. It is a nice exchange. He is the sunshine of my life.

I have made a ton of progress paying off my credit card debt. This year, I have been on an aggressive campaign and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am not quite there yet, but since we get three checks this month - one of them is going towards that. I can't wait to that day when I can say "free at last". I project that it will be around mid-February or early March. My debt to income ratio will be favorable to getting a better rate for my next major purchase.

Speaking of income, this year I have figured out without a doubt, what I don't want to do. It is yet another occupation that I can scratch off the list. I guess it would be better for me to say with certainty what I do want to do....but knowing that this won't work for much longer is a positive step. I think this is a natural progression for me - sometimes I wish I could be the kind of person who stays at a job for years at a time. But I am still convinced that there is something better for me.

My job is great in that I am compensated enough to handle my expenses and still have a little fun. It is why I will be out of debt. It is more money than I have ever made. Things are a little unstable now - but hopefully after the dust settles I will still have this job for as long as I need to. I will trust that when it is time for me to move on that God will open up the doors.

This past year, I have identified some other things about me that I have to address. Like attitude...sometimes I can be - really transparent. I have a hard time hiding my emotions - especially when I am pissed about something. So I will work on resolving my issues more constructively.

I am continuing to do things I have always wanted to do, which is a huge deal. I am so used to denying myself things or feeling guilty, that sometimes I feel trapped. But I went to the Dave Matthews Concert this year - which is phenomenal for me. I had long considered concerts a luxury I couldn't afford. I finally went to a Redskins game - twice and thanks to TK, I saw the Wizards this year. I also went to VA Beach, Philly and Luray Caverns with TB.

All in all it has been a good year and I hope the upcoming year is even better.

No comments: