Saturday, December 31, 2005

Resolve to Evolve

So it's that time of year again - the time when we filled with the best of intentions and optimism plan to make positive changes in our lives. I read so many articles on how to keep your resolutions.

My main goal is for my actions to reflect what I have always dreamed for myself. I think many parents project their hopes and dreams on to their kids, since I don't have any kids, I figure maybe just maybe I should make a go at realizing my dreams.

Sometimes I wonder when I will have the time to do all the things I need to do. But work will not limit me as it has in the past. It is a job - it is not my life. As far as work goes, I resolve to be beneficially sacrificial. Meaning, I will not go above and beyond unless there is something in it for me. There have been many times when I have gone above all that is reasonable, with no tangible or intangible reward - sometimes not even a thank you. That is the last remnant of my martyr personaility (a trait that I got from my mom) I have removed it from every aspect of my life and now it is time to get rid of it completely. Martyrs aren't celebrated until they are dead, and sometimes not even then. I want my party while I am a live and well enough to enjoy it!

My job is not typically a 9-5 and has great potential to steal away my personal time outside of that. But, it will now have to work for me instead of against me.

I have a story idea that I can't wait to develop. I thought of it while I was under the dryer at the salon. It's about sacrifice, betrayal and friendship - I know familiar, yet vague. I just need to get it all out on paper.

My friend has asked me to help him direct a news entertainment show on public access. Since I used to produce one of those types of shows, I am more than excited to jump on board. I think it will be fun.

I have a few show ideas of my own that I need to develop - you know write treatments and pitches. I think I am ready for that - heck that is what I ultimately want to do - so there is no time like the present.

Financially, I have committed to saving $100/wk, so that I will have $5000 by the end of the year. I know I will have to sacrifice a few night of eating out and maybe even a little starbucks, but I think it will be worth it.

In addition, $15/wk goes into my vacation fund and now that I am elgible for my 401K, I will be contributing between 5-7% (I need to do the math on that).

That being said, I have committed to cooking - at least twice a week - if I were to be completely honest - I think I have forgotten how to cook because it has been so long since I have cooked on a regular basis. But going home, reminded how great it is to have home cooking.

Ever since I worked on this all-consuming show, I stopped going to the gym, but now I am back - my clothes are snug and that's just not gonna work, so it's back to business 3x a week like before. That to me was the biggest sacrifice I made in the name of work, but I don't care if I have to go during lunch, I have to do it. So I am in it to win it.

My uncle wants me to train for the Cherry Blossom run. I think it is 5K - (not sure how many miles that is). Honestly, I think that is ambitious for me - I have never been much of a runner. I might give it a try, but I really need to decide if that is something I want to do. If I don't really want to, it ain't gonna happen, no matter how good my intentions.

I vow to spend an hour 3x a week writing and dveloping my ideas - it is my first love - and it will be like reuniting with an old friend.

In addition, since I joined a book club, I will be reading more which is great. Our first book is "Kindred" by Octavia Butler. I picked it up yesterday, so I will start on it tomorrow.

Fast food is gone - my only real fast food addiction is Popeyes - but I had it yesterday and it was kind of gross.

My main goal is to continually grow and enjoy life. I think that is a realistic goal.

No comments: