Saturday, December 10, 2005

Man in the Mirror

Okay the title was inspired by a night of karaoke -which was pretty fun. It's good to know that I am not the worst singer on the planet.

On a serious note, it is really hard to see a reflection of one of the more challenging periods of my life as lived by someone else. Hearing about her situation, is all too familiar and in a way takes me back to a very dark time. I just want to tell her to get out now, love herself and most importantly stop wasting time.

It's Mr. Dysfunctional again - I know the story well. You are not at the top of the priority list. At times you feel you may not even be a priority. You are insecure (and rightfully so) about your relationship. You feel somewhat isolated from friends. You're self esteem and self confidence are at records lows. You feel socially inept and even awkward. You feel like having something is better than nothing at all - and afterall it is a habit. What drives you is (other than the fact that the relationship is purely habitual) fear and hope. Fear that you may end up alone and hope that maybe just maybe he will change. Everything will all work out if he would just change.

For me, I realized that I wanted so much change, that I realized he would have to be an entirely different person for it to work....

But as I much want better for her, I know she has to make that decision. She has to end it (I would end it for her if I could - just to save her from one more pointless argument) She has to get to that point - she might - she might not...It took me a long time - I am a slow doer (I knew it wasn't working, I just didn't stop it)

Ii is really hard to see someone else going through the same thing. Now I know how my mom and friends must have felt....

No comments: