Sunday, November 20, 2005

Smoking Ban in the District?

The DC government is considering imposing a smoking ban, similar to the bans in Montgomery county and LA. The decision may come before the New Year. To that, I say hallelujah! Non-smokers like to go out too! (and not come home smelling like an ashtray). That is actually one of my biggest pet peeves about nightlife is the smoke. Too much of it gives me a headache and I am not a big fan of the smell. Not to mention the health risks. I have my own addictions, but at least they don't affect other people. At any rate, I would be pleased with a smoking ban. It is great feeling to go into a bar or club and not feel suffocated with the stench of smoke.

I also hate to have my clothes and hair reek of smoke. If I go to church the next morning, there almost certainly not enough to get up and wash the do, but I wouldn't want to go with my hair smelling like that - people might think I had too much fun the night before. I don't really care what people think - I just hate the smell, so much so that I didn't want to go out after I got my relaxer - because I didn't want to have to wash my hair.

There are a few studies that suggests that a smoking ban would have a negative impact on some of the local bars, particularly the mom and pop type bars. I don't really know how true that is - but all I know is that there are a lot more non-smokers than not - so maybe that might attract more clientele.

Since my place is not capable of DirectTV, I often go to bars on Sunday to watch football - and often it is a smokefest. It is an annoying side effect of going out. I used to want to open a non-smoking club - but I don't know if my passion exceeds my drive to do that. But I think it would do well.

I guess smokers need love too, but it seems that most places (where smoking isn't banned) caters to smokers. Apparently football fans are all smokers. Some of my friends are smokers and I love them, but I don't care so much for the second-hand smoke. I think it is possible to still have fun and be smoke-free.

2 comments:

N'j said...

I hate the smell of smoke too...one reason I don't smoke in enclosed places. Hypocritical? Maybe, but I'm going to call it motivation.

N'j said...

DC isn't the only place working towards a smoking ban.

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4464340.stm