Saturday, May 19, 2007

Helter Skelter

So I figured it was time I write something, since I haven't written in awhile. So let's see...today I ran my first official 5K race. It was a great feeling to finish - because even though I never doubted for a moment that I would finish I got a nasty cramp in my calf and I did have thoughts of walking most of the way, but I kept moving albeit a little gingerly and I finished in 36 minutes. I am sure that that is slow to most people, but for me, I am just amazed at my progress, because I couldn't even imagine finishing or attempting a 5k a year ago. I was so excited that I signed up for the Race for the Cure 5K in 2 weeks. I am up to running about 10 miles or so a week, maybe a little more - it's somewhat therapeutic.

The thing is with all the physical activity, I am battling my long time nemesis - yes, my hair. Like what the heck? I have lost the battle this past week so I just gave in to the wild side. Getting up every morning to curl my hair only to have the curls fall out an hour later... So I've been sporting the wet look for the past two days which would be great if I didn't have a relaxer. I miss the curly fro during the summer months.

So I am still in denial about the relationship stuff. I am just still comfortable avoiding the inevitable right now, because I am trying to sort out some other stuff and I don't think I can deal with too many issues right now. My main thing is that we really are best friends and I am afraid of losing that.

The job is still tenuous - at least in my head. We are experiencing yet another organizational change and that may not be the best news for me personally. I was really upset when new guy approaches me and asks me how I would feel about going back to my old department (that I just left 6 weeks ago). He seemed to have the impression that I left because of my previous supervisor. He starts rambling about how I have the personality and skill set blah, blah, blah.... He didn't mention that he was going to named GM during the course of this conversation. I did tell him during this conversation that I was not interested in returning to my old department, but admittedly I was less than forthcoming since I was under the impression that he was only in charge of production and ops - which are not my departments. The conversation ended with him encouraging me to consider the possibility.

Um, wtf? I left because I have done my time. I did project management for 3 years and I have hated it for 3 years. Am I great at it? hell yeah - I don't need anyone else to validate my skill set. I could and should have been running the department, but that is not even on my radar screen because I have no interest in it. This guy has been at the company for 6 weeks and has had maybe 3 conversations with me (2 of which occurred when he was my client) and he wants to put me back in that hellhole? Perhaps I am overreacting. It was the way the events went down that was a bit of a concern - he strongly encourages me to consider going back and then he is announced as GM... was he asking me or telling me?

I plan to have a heart to heart with him. No disrespect - but I don't care how much the department is restructured it will still be project management and since that is not a desirable career path for me, I can't sit back and let someone else decide what is best for me.

So...it is family time - we are going to watch Little Miss Sunshine. Go Sox :) oh and Go Nats!

No comments: