Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Creepy White Guys

Yesterday must have been the day where I wore the sign, "creepy white guys - please approach me." It happened twice in one day. I thought I lived in a relatively safe neighborhood with the occasional child molester smattered in between seemingly normal people. So I am at the bus stop rocking out with Dave Matthews on the ipod - just in my usual morning meditation mode and some creepy guys rolls up on me in his car asking, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" In my head, I am thinking, "hell nawl, I don't know you" I say politely, "no I don't believe so." He proceeds to have a conversation, but fortunately for me, the bus is coming - this gives me a bit of courage to say, "don't roll up on me like that" And then I hurry and get on the bus.

So then that evening, which was a little more distressing for me. I am on the bus and creepy white guy #2 gets on. The moment he got on, I noticed him and thought - "eww, child molester/stalker guy". So he sits diagonal from me and I feel him staring at me with his serial killer blue eyes. I try not to make eye contact, but I can sense that he is undressing me with his eyes and possibly figuring out which body parts will fit nicely in a ziploc bag after the assault occurs. A chill runs through me and I happen to glance in his direction and he is intently staring at me. He smiles and I acknowledge his existence and quickly turn away. Now I am worried. I hope his stop is before mine, but mine is coming up. What should I do? I don't want him to see me pull the bell...

So I wait, and then he rings the bell at guess which stop? Mine! Okay so maybe it's not so sinister since he couldn't have known that that was my stop. So I wait for him to get off and see what direction he is walking and then I get off... and run faster than I do at any of my jogging adventures... In heels and a hamstring pull (another story) - all the way home - probably about a 1/4 mile or so. I didn't stop until I was in the building - I did look back often to see where he was, but I kept running even when he was no longer in sight.

Who knew I could run that fast - I guess it was all pure adrenaline activated by my overactive imagination or survival instincts. At any rate, I hope this doesn't become a pattern.

No comments: