Friday, September 02, 2005

Attack of the BC Flashers

Today for the first time in my life, I got real business cards - business cards my employer paid for. This might seem like a small thing, but to me it is HUGE! I was trying to be cool when I saw them waiting on my desk, but inwardly I was so excited. It's like for the first time since I have been working, I feel - validated. Finally an employer thinks enough of me to buy me business cards. It's like they are acknowledging that I am somebody.

It seems silly, but I have secretly been envious of people with business cards for a really, really long time. I would get so annoyed at networking events when everyone would flash their cards and when asked for mine I would (a) pull out my homemade cards - which are alright, except that I move so often the address is out of date or (b) politely take their cards and inform them that I am in the process of updating mine. It's like their business cards made them more important - it made them special and they were flaunting them just to make me feel bad - I know - so melodramatic. (it's part of my charm)

Now I can't wait for the next networking event. Because now, I too can be a flasher - heck I have 1000 of them. Make that 996 - I already gave out four in the span of about 15 minutes. I am excited to join the ranks of the flashers. See - I always knew it - I am somebody, it says so on my card.

No comments: