Sunday, March 12, 2006

March Madness

So I was watching one of Joel Osteen's programs - which lately him and Creflo Dollar have substituted for my church services - He spoke on having a gentle spirit and everything he said resonated with me. I decided that I would have a gentle spirit so I prayed and asked God to help me control my tongue.

I am such a fiery spirit - and a lot of times I can keep it in check - but yesterday the combination or hormones (on my part) and stupidity (on my client's part) caused me to forget all about that gentle spirit stuff. (Sorry God, I know I could have accomplished the same goal without all the fire).

I get a little taken aback when a client calls me on a Saturday to ask me to do something that is completely unreasonable. What's worse is that I did not give her my cell phone number. I don't know how she got it, but there will be a nice email going out on Monday about our personal phone numbers being for internal use only! I have already missed happy hour dealing with her nonsense and I got up early Saturday morning to go buy some paint for her production (which is not my job). So I have at this point I have gone over and above what is reasonable.

Her newly hired production manager called me shortly after she grilled me for 20 minutes and I feel sorry for the poor chap, because I let him have it. I was livid at this point, this project is a one person shoot and certainly I am capable of organizing that without having to troubled on the weekend - one more phone call and they will need to put me on the payroll. He laughed and told me he would take care of everything - which was a good idea.

The thing is I don't know this woman and it was the fact that her project was damned from the beginning because of poor decisions on their part that has left me with a less than sympathetic attitude. I go above and beyond for my regulars all the time and some of them are welcome to call me anytime - just don't waste my time.

I have a hard time dealing when people don't take no for an answer. I lose it - maybe this is preparation for parenthood. When I say no - I mean no - and what happens is you keep grilling me and I say anything to get you to shut up - but I still have no intention of doing whatever it is that has been requested - because I have already made my decision. I need to work on that - how to say no and not back down yet still be respectful....

Her shoot is Tuesday so I will have a lot more time to practice demonstrating a gentle spirit.

No comments: